Monday 29 July 2013

Things...

For which I am grateful...

My sleeping bag. I never thought I would be so pleased to wriggle into this bag of joy every night. It has kept me warm on many an Andean night and has probably warded off bed bugs in the less salubrious of sleeping establishments we have sometimes found ourselves in. Smaller than my biggest jumper I remember buying my slug of warmth several years ago in London and thinking it cost a small fortune (back when I used to prefer to save money instead of spending it. Tsk). Eight years on I can safely say it is one of my most valuable possessions, up there with the camera and iPod.

Thermals. The day has finally arrived where I look on a pair of long johns lovingly and with glee whenever the temperature drops below 10 degrees.

Headphones. These little earbuds of joy are not just limited to listening to music. They also block out the sound of fellow dorm-mates who may snore, and for some reason decide that 6 am or 2 am is the best time to pack and then repack their bags.

Insect repellent. Self explanatory.

Fish. I know we all know by now that I love the ceviche, but fish in general really has got me out of a hole when a restaurant only offers beef, lamb, chicken, lama, guinea pig or pig skin for dinner. If only the fish felt the same way.

Having a pair of thongs to wear in communal showers.

Things I miss...

It sounds very 'first world problems' to suggest I miss things when we are seeing the most breathtaking sights every day, but sometimes, just sometimes you crave the little things for which most of us have become accustomed to.

Clean clothes. The idea of having a wardrobe full of clean clothes (in fact, I'd settle for just a drawer full of clean underwear) seems bliss. To not have to do washing every 10 days and to have more than three weather-appropriate outfits to wear at any one time seems like a world away.

The ability to put toilet paper in the toilet and not in an overflowing bin to the side.

Toilet seats.

Salad. If there is one thing that will make me sick (apart from ice), its lettuce washed in local water. Best avoided.

Being able to brush my teeth without the need for bottled water. See above.

Not having to wear thongs in the shower.

Good coffee. You would think, especially in Colombia, that good coffee would be readily available in South America. Not so. Sadly it's all exported to countries such as Australia where it is sold at exorbitant prices by stupid fancy cafes such as St Ali, and labelled with names like 'single origin'. We have yet to drink a decent coffee since leaving home, although I know we are incredibly spoilt in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment