Thursday 30 May 2013

Here comes the story of the hurricane (clap clap)

Having been in Mexico for a week, I feel it's important that I catalogue my mistakes, so as to avoid any similar ones in the future. Also to capture random thoughts. 

1. If a sandwich is really, really delicious (pork, beef, cheese, chipotle, avo, onion, chili), don't only eat half and throw the other half away, because you're afraid you won't be able to fit in lunch.  Because you might end up walking around one of the best anthropology museums in the world, ignoring the lost civilisations, because you're thinking of the lost sandwich that's in the bin outside. 

2. The pyramids at Teotihuacan are HUGE, and best not climbed in jeans and thongs on a 30deg day. 

3. Refer to Lucy's post re going out without remembering the name of your hostel. Bigmistakebighuge. 

4. When a seasoned American surfer named Django the D is silent tells you that there's a hurricane a-comin', don't automatically assume they're messing with ya cause you don't get hurricanes in Melbourne. They mightn't be. 

5. They weren't.*

6. Mosquitos that bite like Lucy. They don't like me. I am sure they will realise their mistake soon. 

7. I still don't like falafel. 

8. I have very white skin, and Lucy has very blond hair. We are what tourists look like.

9. At least for now.

10. Jumping in the air and screeching like a sissy is EXACTLY what I would do if I ever saw a wild snake in real life. I have always thought that would be how I would react, and it turns out, after testing the theory this morning while out walking, I was fucking right. 

That is all for now, hasta la vista baby. 

X

* Thankfully the hurricane crossed land about 50kms away from us, so we only got the voice-of-God thunder, the odd lightening bolt, and the kind of rain Forrest Gump talks about. 


Here is the place where I ate my sandwich (the bin is about 7 meters to the right, just out of the frame).
 


And here is my face after realising my mistake. 



Here's me on the beach at Puerto Escondido. An no, I was not looking for bugs to fry and eat. That is Lucy's job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment